Brewed Beer

IMG_3502-1 (dragged)
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
Abraham Lincoln

Tonight, I started the process of brewing some beer. We got a kit J found from Williams Sonoma made by
Brooklyn Brew Shop that makes a beer called Everyday IPA.
IMG_3438-1 (dragged) 1

The kit comes with grains, hops, sanitizer, tubing, plugs, a thermometer and a jug.
IMG_3442-1 (dragged) 1

The first step is to sanitize the equipment. I soaked all the ingredients and rinsed the inside of the jug. If things are not completely clean, the yeast could die.
IMG_3452-1 (dragged)

Next, I put together the mash. I heated 2.5 quarts of water to 160 degrees and added the grain.
IMG_3449-1 (dragged)

I cooked this for 60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. The water reduced quite a bit.
IMG_3454-1 (dragged) 2

Next, I strained the grains collecting any of the leftover water. I didn't have a large strainer, so J and I ended up doing this in batches.
IMG_3455-1 (dragged)

After we strained it all, we also had to heat an additional gallon of water to 170 degrees and pass it through the grains as well. The liquid that gets created through this process is called wort (pronounced "wert"), and it's what beer is essentially made of.
IMG_3460-1 (dragged)

I recirculated this wort through the grains once more and put it into the pot.
IMG_3472-1 (dragged)

I brought it to a boil and then added the first batch of hops, Columbus Hops.
IMG_3474-1 (dragged) 1

I added Cascade Hops every 10-15 minutes into the boil, although there was a moment when I overboiled and lost some beer. Unfortunately, it wasn't the last time in the process that I was going to lose beer.

Next, I gave it a nice cold ice bath to get it down to 70 degrees.
IMG_3479-1 (dragged) Pasted Graphic 12

When it finally reached the desired temperature, it was time to pour it into its jug. I set up a strainer and a funnel and started scooping into the jug.
IMG_3497-1 (dragged)

It was time to add the yeast.
IMG_3499-1 (dragged)

I shook it up and shoved a tube in there. The other end of the tube goes in a bowl of sanitizer.
IMG_3506-1 (dragged)

Here is where I made my most fatal mistake. I left the beer unattended with the tube in the liquid. For those that know how these things work, I just made a magic gas yielding yeast siphon. When J discovered what I had done, there was very sticky beer all over the cart and kitchen floor. She ended up fixing my setup and rightfully so, she made me clean it up.
IMG_3509-1 (dragged)

Here's what I was left with. I lost almost half of it.
IMG_3508-1 (dragged) 1

We're going to see what happens to the rest of it. I'm going to put it in a cool, dark spot for a few days and then put the plug attachment on it. Two weeks after that, it goes in bottles. Then two weeks after that, it should be drinkable. We'll see!

Related item:
Brooklyn Brew Shop's Beer Making Book: 52 Seasonal Recipes for Small Batches

blog comments powered by Disqus