Filled Out Paperwork For A Legal Name Change

“There has never yet been a man in our history who led a life of ease whose name is worth remembering.”
Theodore Roosevelt

This is something I have procrastinated on for a while.  J and I got married nearly 3 years ago, and when we did, we decided to take each other’s names by hyphenating for a couple of reasons: we were attached to our names but also we wanted any possible future children to share our last name.  Even though this was the plan, I had not taken the time to do this paperwork, or to be honest, made the effort to find out what was involved in doing it.  Sometimes the little things in a marriage can mean a whole lot, and because I’m far from being the best spouse in the world, I’m definitely guilty of letting things like this slide.  Today is J’s birthday, and I could think of few ways better to honor her than to take the proper steps to attach her name to mine.

When I first started looking into this a few weeks ago, I wasn’t sure how much I would have to do, but then I found out there are five forms to fill out.  Plus, I have to get the name change published in a newspaper for a few weeks and make a court date.  I guess there are good reasons it’s not easy to change one’s name (ie. criminals).

All the information for doing this is on the
California Courts website.  The five forms needed are:

- Petition for Change of Name (NC-100)
  • -Attachment to Petition for Change of Name (NC-110)
  • -Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (NC-120)
  • -Decree Changing Name (NC-130)
  • -Civil Case Cover Sheet (CM-010)

Part of the reason I started doing I’ve Never Done That is because I know I’m a procrastinator.  In fact, one of my favorite blogs (
You Are Not So Smart) has a post on procrastination that was a major inspiration for this project.  It is actually pretty freeing to remove something like this off my to do list, and it was equally gratifying to see her smile when I showed her what I was doing.
blog comments powered by Disqus